Friday, September 15, 2006

sudden urge to blog.

We were watching the weekly Friday news programs on PBS (we get a few other local channels, but PBS is better so we only watch it) and on Now, there was a piece on political bloggers and how they were influencing the elections (just in case you're completely out of it, there's a congressional election going on right now - all of the representatives and some of the senators are up for reelection). It was really interesting and I think that it's really cool that anyone can get a blog (for free on Blogger or for a domain fee on your own website) and write stuff and other people can read it and it just might make them see things a little differently or look at things that they hadn't seen before. I'd like to take a moment and mourn for the brains of all the kids at my school and across the country who care about nothing more that texting their friends about the cool shirt they just got at hollister. Where will we be when these people are old enough to vote? Will they actually grow a brain (unlikely) or, if not, how will our country function if only the uncool people care enough about the direction of our country to take part in the political process and vote? Sigh... I went to a football game on Friday (verses North). Bobby was taking pictures for the announcements, and his little brother is on the 8th grade lightweight team (number 42 - ruler of life, the universe, and everything) even thought he's in 7th grade and his team was playing, as were the 9th graders. I had never been to a football game before, and it was actually pretty fun. On top of that, I even learned something about football (*gasp* - I know, hard to believe). I learned that someone - I'm not clear on who - has 4 chances, or "downs" to get the ball 10 yards. I also figure why none of the other schools have rowdies - because their kind of loud and obnoxious and embarrassing, especially to those of us whose school spirit (if any) does not manifest itself in screaming uncontrollably at football players - thank Goddess. Before I got sucked into the football game, I was in the library after school and picked up a couple books. One is Young Warriors: Stories of Strength, which is a collection of short stories edited by Tamora Pierce (one of my favorite authors of all time) and Josepha Sherman. So far I've read Student of Ostritches, which is by Tamora Pierce and the foreward (which is also by Tamora Pierce - see any pattern? - just kidding). It looks like it will be really good and - added bonus - I can write up a couple of them for my first reading summary which is due on Friday - double whammy. The other book I checked out after school on Friday is Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. It is the sequel to Uglies which I just finished and am absolutely smitten with. You have to read Uglies! It was a pretty fast read for me (no pun intended - read the book and see what I mean) and it is really well written with an interesting storyline that kept me glued to the page the whole time. Very messy, but enjoyable. I'm sure Pretties will be just as good if not better. Hmmm... anything else? Oh! I almost forgot - my friend Alex invited me to join his Dungeons and Dragons group at the local game shop. I've never played a roleplaying game before, but we went there to get the last die I needed and talked to the lady who runs the shop. She hooked me up with the DM (Dungeon Master - kind of like the referee/narrator) of Alex's group, who sounds really nice. I'm kinda nervous, because I've never done anything like this before, but I have a pretty good imagination, so I thought I'd give it a try. It sounds fun. I think that's about it. I got a graphics tablet, which I've been having a bit of fun with. I should post the picture I drew. In fact... here it is. Or not... I will try and post if I can get Blogger to cooperate. Sigh... I'm supposed to be in bed reading right now, but nooo, I'm blogging instead. Go figure. Here's a glove, stupid Blogger. I challenge you to a duel. Now lets see who comes out on top. Well, I hope I've given you some food for thought. My brain always complains when it's hungry. It likes bagels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home